This is an archival version of the original KnowledgePoint website.

Interactive features have been disabled and some pages and links have been removed.

Visit the new KnowledgePoint website at


Revision history [back]

click to hide/show revision 1
initial version
Harriette Purchas gravatar image

Hi Sarah, If you go onto the DWI website by following this link:

you will find that apart from the products listing, which lists all of the products certified for use in the UK, there are also sections that deal with frequently asked questions and advice on the approval process which tells you how this process works. As for the testing this is carried out by a specialist material testing laboratory which is certified to undertake these tests. Payment for such testing is the responsibility of the manufacturer of the product as they are the ones who benefit from their product being approved for use in contact with drinking water. Ie they can advertise their paint can be used in these situations. Almost certainly therefore if a product is approved for use and has been tested to get his certification then the manufacturers will want to advertise this. Clearly each country might well approach this in a different way so I can’t really help you with this.

Hope that's helpful

Regards Harriette